Friday, October 30, 2009

The Walk of Life

To sum up my Life...

Halloween is creeping up. I have flu. I also have a house full of teenage girls sleeping over for the holiday, compliments of my fifteen-year-old daughter who thought this would be the BEST time to have a Halloween Party. The CharityWorks GreenHouse ended today where my work has been on display in the lovely Virtual golf room. Deer are taking over my yard. My friend, Lynni Megginson, who has been working in the Virtual golf Room for the past 3 weeks (almost every day tirelessly), now has a sick child, probably from me. (See www.facebook.com/pages/Virtual-Golf-Girl) And I have learnt the Art of the ReTweet.

Now I know this sounds a little sad. But I have been stuck in bed.... constantly taking my temperature, and *coughing* everywhere. And, "yes", I did miss my flu shots this year -- surprise, surprise!! But I have had very little to amuse me but an iPhone and a Computer. So, I am NOT getting much photography done at all!!! And I am very frustrated with this part of my life, but I am getting to check out everyone else's photography online and to Twitter.

For instance. I have a friend on Facebook, Kate Benjamin, who took a fabulous photo to start off my Halloween celebration. See http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2901300&id=693003799 to get a glimpse of it. It reminded me of #legstuesday on Twitter where all the Twitter people take photos with their phones of legs and upload them to Twitter for a wonderful worthy cause to raise awareness of RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) or otherwise known as CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome). This often difficult to understand syndrome can lead to limbs that just don't move. Just ask my friend @Carus925 on Twitter who deals with having to educate people on this each day of her life because she personally suffers from RSD.

So as I look around me this Halloween, and I think about all the (loud) sound coming from my basement, I can't really complain. I see lots of funny legs. And I really want to photograph them. Maybe I will this year. Maybe I will start an album of just legs for #legstuesday on Twitter.

Many professionals have much to say on the subject of being "role models". Many have more to say on how they should be "responsible" to society. But if we aren't, who is? I mean, who is supposed to be the ones to watch out for the next generation? I read the news (or watch it) most days and I don't like a lot of what I see. But then I keep on doing what I do and never change my path. I don't get out of my seat and write a letter to my Congressman which I KNOW will make a huge difference in that one vote. I don't volunteer in that particular charity I KNOW needs extra help this time of year. I don't give as much money as I should to charities in my area. I don't even keep my house as "green" as I would like.

But I am an Art Photographer. And I can take (great) photos.

So.... for this time around, I am going to try and help my friend on Twitter.

I know many of you don't have Twitter, so I will post my photos up on Facebook for you to see and try to give updates as much as I can.

I will take photographs of legs. All types of legs. And I welcome suggestions from everyone. And if you are on Twitter, join me @fototwit , and on #legstuesday, upload a shot of your legs and mark it with #legstuesday on the post and #RSD and #CRPS . That way the awareness will spread and you can help me spread the word. If you aren't on Twitter, just talk to people about RSD and read about it. Carus Culver (@Carus925) needs everyones help. I want to help her, and if your limbs move and you can see or hear the people around you moving this season, remember we all have a responsibility to each other in some small way.

Even if it is to just upload a cellphone photo to Twitter.

My name is Sara Friedman. I believe that I can make a difference in this world. You can too.